Monday, October 3, 2011

To Write...Something Else

I don't know if anyone read my last blog, as it didn't receive any comments (I just changed my settings so that ANYONE can comment...if you have problems, please let me know so I can make sure), however, I'd like to follow up on it now anyway. As I said before, my original essay began to take a direction I didn't want to go in, but I strongly felt that if I kept writing the essay that that is where it was determined to go. In order to write it, I would have had to relive painful memories about someone I've recently come to realize I don't have negative feelings toward anymore, and I A. Didn't want to think about that and B. Didn't want to start feeling negative toward him again. So I had to decide: Do I keep writing this essay or do I start a new one?
The verdict: I started a new one. We've discussed and others have blogged about how writing is a journey, and I firmly believe that. But I also believe that there are some journies we are just not willing to make, and that that's okay. Maybe someday we will be ready, or maybe we never will be. Sometimes forcing yourself to write something you aren't sure you want to write can be a good thing. You may end up being surprised by how wonderful it turns out, but at other times, forcing yourself to write turns out just that way: coming off as forced.
So I started with a new writing memory, and this one takes me into territory I've been thinking about A LOT lately. Now I feel like I'm writing something I want to explore and I feel like anyone that reads it will really be able to see my mind at work. And I think it will help me sort out my feelings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Breana!

For some reason, I can't comment on your newest blog post. So this response is to your newest post. :) I'm sorry you didn't have the best of experiences with the partnership. However, I'm really glad you brought up the assumptions concern. I'm two weeks into my practicum, and am fully beginning to realize the importance (which should have been obvious, but which I'm working hard to correct) of not making assumptions or judgments about students based on their behavior or their work. It's difficult for me to remember at times that students have more going on in their lives than just school, and that, as far as that goes, there is much more going on at school than just what is in the lesson plan. It's definitely something I need to work on, and I'm glad you brought this up because I think that in order to be a successful teacher, it is essential to have that understanding.