Monday, November 7, 2011

Do I Have Enough TIME to be a Really GOOD Teacher?

So much of what I've been reading for my classes has focused on teaching students as the individuals they are. Let me first say that I completely agree. In two of the books I've read this semester, the teachers really took an active role in the lives on their students, even taking THEIR free time to call their students at home to "stay on them" about doing their homework, and then further taking their free time to help the students. So, as I said, I totally agree that students need to be taught on an INDIVIDUAL basis, but it seems like in order to do this, a teacher has to sacrifice all his/her free time to really be a good teacher. Especially when you have a family (which I and a few others in the class do, and I'm sure most, if not all, of the rest of you will too), who has time for that? And I don't mean to sound completely selfish and callous, but especially in Iowa which is one of the very lowest paying states for teachers, how can anyone AFFORD to put in that much time? I'm still trying to decide if this is the right career choice for me, and I think this is my biggest hang up. I'm afraid I don't have the necessary time to be a really good teacher. I would never want to sell any of my students short.

No comments: